Orphaned Replica in Horizon View

In my home lab, I do not have any redundancy since it for testing purpose and in such, I encounter a power failure and resulted in my Horizon Connection server to be absent.

Upon recovery of powering up again, one of the replica end up lost link with the database.  In my vSphere Web Client, I see a replica (orphaned).  I was able to delete the replica folder but the entry still stay in the vSphere Web Client inventory tree (that applies the same to vSphere Client).

By the way I am running Horizon View 6.1 and this solution found in the KB still works.

I didn't manage to capture my screenshot and found the below similar.  You will see the same on the web client.  Do note that the name of the replica will look like "replica-d0d123123c-f3j2-... (orphaned)".  Do note the actual name does not contain "(orphaned)".  DO NOT include when using the commands below.

source: http://www.vladan.fr

The command in the KB states and this was the confusion I have and I like to address for you to use it correctly.


sviconfig -operation=UnprotectEntity -DsnName=name_of_DSN -DbUsername=Composer_DSN_User_Name -DbPassword=Composer_DSN_Password -VcUrl=https://vCenter_Server_address/sdk -VcUsername=Domain\User_of_vCenter_Server_account_name -VcPassword=vCenter_Server_account_password -InventoryPath=/Datacenter_name/vm/VMwareViewComposerReplicaFolder -Recursive=true
  • In View Composer 2.5 and later, you can re-protect the VMwareViewComposerReplicaFolder using -operation=ProtectEntity

The main problem comes from the InventoryPath.  As my Datacenter_Name contain space, please use "" for the whole string.

Leave the second part /vm the same, do not change it.

Since replica is in the main inventory list not in any Folder created, then leave /VMwareViewComposerReplicaFolder.   This is the default recognized for vCenter.

Here is an example how it should look:

sviconfig -operation=UnprotectEntity -DsnName=viewDSN -DbUsername=viewdsnuser -DbPassword=mypassword123 -VcUrl=https://prodvC/sdk -VcUsername=plain-virt\vCadmin -VcPassword=vCadminpasswd123 -InventoryPath=/Datacenter_name/vm/VMwareViewComposerReplicaFolder -Recursive=true


Hope this helps you to resolve such incident.  This was the first time I encounter it so I thought I just share this out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why VMware or Why Not after Broadcom?

VMware by Broadcom, A New Chapter Forward

VMware vExpert 2024 Application is Now Open!